Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Geeesh

It's been a rough week (and yeah, I know, it's Tuesday).

It started out well (thankfully!)I had a wonderful meeting with Betsy and Nancy (my Panera Bread crew!)--I got to discuss the unbelievably gorgeous short story Betsy wrote called "Trajectories" (look for it soon--any journal that turns this gem down is not worth the paper it's printed on or the...uh...the website thingie stuff it's taking up...you know what I mean) and Nancy turned in something new. So I have even more good stuff to look forward to reading.

But it kinda went downhill after that. Nothing that I need to discuss here. but just an FYI, I guess.

At any rate, I'm working on making it better. In the meantime, I've decided that Eudora Welty and Flannery O'Connor are the next contestants on "Finding a New Author to Obsess Over" Lucky girls, that Eudora and that Flannery. And save the pearl-clutching. I have read some  of both,  just not as much as I'd like, or as much as I think I should read, especially since I fancy myself a short-story writer. And besides, I like saying the word "Eudora." And didn't O'Connor write that story about the man who steals a woman's fake leg?! How can you go wrong with that?!

My point here is: What's your favorite story from either of these Southern Belles? I remember loving A Worn Path and of course A Good Man is Hard to Find, but what else? Any suggestions?

(Don't worry, I'll get back to getting into Baldwin shortly, I am sure).

PS: Thanks to Eddie for the Sebald article!!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Bobbi,

    I haven't read much by either Welty or O'Connor, but I have One Writer's Beginnings by Welty, her memoir. Read it years ago. I'll bring it the next time we meet. Hope you enjoy digging into both of the writers.

    ReplyDelete